Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Boasting...


 "But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Galatians 6:14
 Paul gives us a clear picture of the mindset/attitude a believer should have and be diligently practicing…”far be it from me to boast except in  the cross?” And I particularly like the wording here…”far be it from me”, Paul is implying the foolishness that comes with putting our hope/boasting in anything other than the cross.

This is where it gets real though, how often do I/we find ourselves boasting in thing of the world. I know for myself, the answer is more than I want it to be.  How different would our lives look? How much more useful would we be to God(keep in mind, God does not need us at all, but desires to use us…) if we were people who lived with the understanding that Paul had in regard to priorities?

God is ultimately satisfied in Himself and in the work of the cross, that was God’s plan. We are made to worship and bring glory to Him, regardless of circumstance, no matter where you are right now…you have one purpose and that is to live a life that points back to the glory of God. Remember, I am mainly talking at myself, but let us not be people who are hindered in our pursuit of Christ. Jesus tells us to leave all things behind in the pursuit of Him and the cross, because we cant bring things along, they weigh us down and only serve to pull our attention away from Him. Like Peter, when we are focused on Christ, and solely focused on Him, we walk and walk in a way that pleases Him…but when we take our eyes of Christ, we sink. Simple. Do not be hindered, give the flesh no opportunity to have reign over us.  As Paul would say, only a new creation counts, and through the work on the cross, we have been redeemed and ransomed, lets live like it... Pursue Christ. God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him. As John Piper says in his book God in the Gospel
"So let us preach and live the gospel so as to display Christ. Let us take up arms and defeat the devil by being bold and glad in the superior glory of the Son of God!"



Let us not be foolish, God is not mocked, He is worthy of praise. The sweetness of the cross is much more glorious and powerful than the enticements of the devil.

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment